Sinéad O’Connor’s 17-year-old son died two days after he was reported missing.
The musician shared the news on social media, writing that he “decided to end his earthly struggle” and asked that “no one follow his example.”
In the early hours of Saturday morning, O’Connor tweeted: “My beautiful son, Nevi’im Nesta Ali Shane O’Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please be at peace. “
Police confirmed news of the teenager’s death on Saturday.
Shane O’Connor had been missing since Thursday, and the Gardaí launched an appeal over his whereabouts. The 17-year-old was missing in Newbridge, County Kildare, and was last seen Friday morning in the Tallaght area, Dublin 24, the Gardaí said. In the appeal, which was reissued on Friday, officers said they were concerned for his well-being.
At the time, the singer had posted touching messages on social media asking her son to contact her. “Shane, your life is precious. God did not carve that beautiful smile on your beautiful face for nothing, ”he tweeted.
“My world would collapse without you. You are my heart. Please don’t stop beating. Please don’t hurt yourself. Go to the Gardai and we will take you to the hospital.
“This is a message for my son, Shane. Shane, it’s no longer funny that this is all lost. You’re scaring me a lot. Could you do the right thing and show up at a Gardai station? If you’re with Shane, call the Gardai for your safety. “
The Gardaí has confirmed that the search for the 17-year-old is over. “Following the recovery of a body in the Bray area of Wicklow on Friday, January 7, 2022, a missing person appeal has been withdrawn regarding 17-year-old Shane O’Connor,” a spokesperson told the Irish Mirror.
The musician received messages of condolences on social media, with Cáit O’Riordan, a former Pogues, tweeting: “I’m so sorry, Sinéad.”