Canadian actor and ‘Matrix Trilogy’ star Keanu Reeves expressed skepticism about non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and digital ownership during an interview with The Verge.
When asked about his views on NFTs and the concept of digital scarcity, Reeves said they can be easily replicated and laughed at.
While some in the crypto community laughed too, but in response to Reeves’ response, others pointed out that it is unwise to ask “actors for investment advice.”
In early November, the famous Warner Bros study was associated with the NFT platform Skilled and released digital collectibles tied to “The Matrix Resurrections.” The collection, which included 100,000 Matrix-inspired, avatar-themed NFTs and went on sale for $ 50 each, sparked incredible interest and was collected within the first hour of its release.
Meanwhile, Reeves was also asked if he was “personally interested in cryptocurrencies.” The actor said that “a friend of mine bought me some a while ago,” adding that he hasn’t done anything with it.
Interviewer Alex Heath explained to Reeves that when you don’t do anything with your crypto, it’s called HODL. “Yeah, I have a little bit of HODL,” Reeves said.
In touching on the idea of the metaverse and talking about what some of the potentials might be, Reeves asked, “Can we just not make the metaverse be invented by Facebook? The metaverse concept is much older than that, “he said.” I just say, ‘come on, man.’
The term “metaverse” was initially coined in the 1990s in a play by Neal Stephenson called “Snow Crash.”
In October, Facebook changed its corporate name to ‘Goal‘to reflect his serious intentions in the construction of the metaverse. Before that, the social media giant dedicated a $ 50 million fund to “responsibly” develop the metaverse.
– SCRT reunites when Quentin Tarantino releases NFT of uncut scenes from ‘Pulp Fiction’
– This is how NFTs could change the television and film industries
– See how Matt Damon helps Crypto.com spend $ 100 million on a global campaign
– Someone is using Netflix’s Squid game to pump tokens with multiple red flags
– South Park predicts that Bitcoin will dominate our future
– Saxo Bank’s ‘Outrageous Prediction’ of NFT-Based Platforms Revolutionizing Spotify
– Metaverse Mega Roundup: Facebook and Universal Moves, Virtual World Weddings
– We know better than to allow Facebook to control the metaverse