Mexico added 202 confirmed deaths from COVID-19 on Saturday, according to data from the Health Ministry, bringing the official death toll since the coronavirus pandemic began to 300,303. On the other hand, in India, daily Covid-19 cases crossed 1.5 lakh on Saturday, almost 13% more than the previous day’s count. India recorded 1,59,377 new cases on Saturday. It only took two days for the daily count to go above 1.5 lakh after crossing the 1 lakh mark on Thursday.
!1 new updateClick here for the latest updates
Visuals: Chennai sees a complete lockdown today in light of rising number of COVID-19 cases
Tamil Nadu | Chennai sees a complete lockdown today in light of increasing number of # COVID19 cases https://t.co/SwTfeSZFuR
& mdash; ANI (@ANI) 1641697723000
China Reports 165 New Covid-19 Cases, Omicron Cases Reported in Tianjin
Magnitude 5.9 quake shakes Papua New Guinea’s New Britain region: USGS
- A 5.9 magnitude earthquake struck the New Britain region of Papua New Guinea on Sunday, the US Geological Survey said.
- The earthquake struck at a depth of 19 kilometers (12 miles) off the country’s east coast at 0205 GMT, the USGS said.
The United States administers more than 518 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines: CDC
Us | Calling the attack on a Sikh taxi driver at JFK International Airport “deeply disturbing,” the State Department’s Office of South and Central Asian Affairs said it condemns any form of hate-based violence.
We are deeply disturbed by reports of an attack on a Sikh taxi driver at JFK airport, captured on video last week … https://t.co/AXwP85cp9d
& mdash; SCA_State (@SCA_State) 1641694202000
COVID-19 | Mizoram reports 903 new cases; The number of active cases amounts to 4,367
Australia’s New South Wales marks its highest COVID-19 death toll
- Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, recorded its highest number of daily deaths from COVID-19 on Saturday as the Omicron variant sweeps the country and lawmakers face pressure to close ever-widening gaps in the supply chain.
- The Sydney home and a third of Australia’s 25 million residents reported 16 deaths from coronavirus the day before. New South Wales reported 30,062 new infections, close to record levels.
- The second-largest state, Victoria, which is hosting the Australian Open tennis tournament this month, reported 44,155 new COVID-19 cases and four deaths.
At least seven people were killed and nine seriously injured when a rock wall collapsed onto motorboats under a waterfall in southeastern Brazil on Saturday, Reuters reports.
Red alert in the Supreme Court as a positivity rate among judges at 12.5%
Delhi’s air quality improves to ‘Satisfactory’ category with Air Quality Index (AQI) at 90, according to the System of Research and Forecasting Weather and Air Quality (SAFAR) -India
Covid-19: The 12.6% growth in daily cases on Saturday was lower than the rates recorded in recent days.
Covid-19: The number of active cases surpassed 5 lakh on Saturday, ending the day at almost 5.9 lakh. Active cases in the country had crossed 1 lakh on December 31.
The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) says it arrested Madhukar G Angur, former Chancellor of Alliance University on Friday, in a money laundering case for embezzlement of University funds in the amount of Rs 107 Crores
Light to moderate rainstorm with few episodes of heavy rain would continue to occur in adjacent areas throughout Delhi and NCR (Hindon AF Station, Bahadurgarh, Ghaziabad, Indirapuram, Noida) for the next 2 hours (issued at 3.35am) : IM D
Ladakh | We have decided to suspend the Chadar Trek. The decision has been made after considering the suggestions of all stakeholders. We have suspended such winter tourism activities in view of increasing COVID cases: Leh DM, Shrikant Balasaheb Suse
Haryana | So far, around 50 doctors have tested positive for COVID19. In view of that, we have decided to put some restrictions, including the closure of the OPD service as of Monday. We recommend chronic patients to take prescriptions only online: Dr. Ishwar Singh, PGIMS, Rohtak