- Maharashtra reported seven new cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19, including a one-and-a-half-year-old toddler – three from Mumbai and four from Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation – taking the tally to 17 in the state. Three men, aged 48, 25 and 37, are returnees from Tanzania, the UK and South Africa, respectively, while the four patients are the contacts of Nigerian women, who was infected with the new variant on December 6. Of the seven, four are asymptomatic while three have mild symptoms. Of these new cases, four are fully vaccinated, one has been administered with a single dose against COVID-19 and one is unvaccinated. The toddler is not eligible for vaccination.
- A total of 33 Covid-19 cases of the Omicron variant have been detected from five states so far, accounting for less than 0.04% of the total variants detected, and the patients have so far reported mild symptoms.
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Assam police arrested Wazid Hussain for allegedly stealing limited edition Maradona signed Hublot watch
- Assam police arrested Wazid Hussain for allegedly stealing limited edition Maradona signed Hublot watch. Police stated after informed through Central Agency by Dubai Police that one Wazid Hussain had stolen a limited edition Maradona signed Hublot watch and fled to Assam, the accused was arrested at 4 AM from his residence in Sibsagar. The limited edition watch has been recovered from him.
It is an emotional moment for us. We never thought it will be this hard to go back home as we have established a deep connection with the people and the place. This agitation will be in our memories forever
– Gurvinder Singh from Ambala
Border Security Force is working for the country’s safety. Regarding the jurisdiction, it was decided that they’ll operate in a range of 50km. Then why does the CM (Mamata Banerjee) talk about 15km range and create problems between the local police & BSF?: Jagdeep Dhankhar, Governor of West Bengal
West Bengal Vidhan Sabha has decided to make divisions in the Howrah Municipal Corp. I have to take the final decision on the bill but I enquired the WB government on 24th Nov about the bill and there is no reply till date, I don’t appreciate this, adds Jagdeep Dhankhar
Visuals: Protesting farmers at Tikri border dismantle their settlements
Protesting farmers at Tikri border dismantle their settlements as they vacate the area to return to their homes, fo… https://t.co/Q4HIMQINZT
— ANI (@ANI) 1639204223000
Rs 100 Crore extortion matter | CBI recorded statements of 7 people in Mumbai yesterday. These seven are Police personnel who were deployed for the security of Anil Deshmukh when he was the Home Minister of Maharashtra.
We spent a tough time living under the open sky for a year. We lost friends in this battle, but the protest was important for the future of our children who could have lost their fields and source of income if the three laws weren’t repealed. At the same time, the local villages supported us with perishable and non-perishable supplies without interruption and we are thankful to them.
– Gurbachan Singh, farmer
Visuals from Singhu border (Delhi-Haryana border)
#WATCH | Farmers take down their settlements, vacate the borders around Delhi and return to their homes after the a… https://t.co/xoYgZVy1AU
— ANI (@ANI) 1639202013000
Visuals: Slow traffic movement seen at KMP flyover near Singhu border as farmers head back to their homes
Slow traffic movement seen at KMP flyover near Singhu border as farmers head back to their homes after the suspensi… https://t.co/5fLZUQ6UY6
— ANI (@ANI) 1639201434000
Protesting farmers sing ‘bhajan’ at Singhu border before vacating the site
#WATCH | Protesting farmers sing 'bhajan' at Singhu border before vacating the site to return home, following the a… https://t.co/k1La7Bh5KB
— ANI (@ANI) 1639201010000
India has the advantage of very high rate of ‘seropositivity’ of 70-80 per cent, and in big cities more than 90 per cent people already have antibodies. In view of the protection available to people, even if they get infected, it will be very mild and most of the time asymptomatic.
– Rakesh Mishra, former director of CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Swiss medical agency approves Pfizer vaccine for children over 5
- The Swiss Agency for Therapeutic Products, Swissmedic on Friday approved the use of the Pfizer vaccine for children aged 5-11.
See, within days of the Prime Minister’s announcement on repealing the three agri laws, all farmers’ bodies decided to call off the protest. This is because we didn’t want anyone to suffer unnecessarily due to our protest. We hope the Centre gets the minimum support price norms implemented now
– Jaskaran Singh, farmer
Uttarakhand | Our flag shall always fligh high because brave men like late CDS General Bipin Rawat, who was trained here at the IMA, will always preserve & protect its honour: President Ram Nath Kovind at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun
An earthquake with a magnitude of 4.3 on the Richter Scale, hit 145km East of Fayzabad, Afghanistan today at 10:17 am: National Center for Seismology
Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has announced Rs 50 lakhs ex-gratia to the family of Lance Naik B Sai Teja, who lost his life in the Tamil Nadu chopper crash on 8th Dec, which claimed 13 brave souls. He was serving as PSO to the CDS: Andhra Pradesh CMO
The second case of Omicron Variant reported in Delhi. The person was fully vaccinated and was coming from Zimbabwe. The person had also travelled to South Africa: Government of Delhi
He is admitted at the LNJP Hospital and only has weakness, reports PTI.
We will discontinue hospital services after all the farmers leave Singhu border. To manage any emergency, we will remain here till then.
– Parvinder Singh, volunteer at the temporary eight-bed hospital
A team of the National Highways Authority of India was back in action. It inspected a portion of the Delhi-Meerut Expressway that had been occupied by the farmers for the past one year.
- To start with, we dispatched a team to install cameras on the DME. We will carry out the other works as and when the site is vacated fully, says NHAI official.
My advice to you is to amend Acts of universities & you personally assume the position of Chancellor, so that you can carry out your political objectives without any dependence on Gov: Kerala Gov AM Khan writes to Kerala CM over political appointments in Universities of the state
Over the past one year, we had to organise so many things. Gas cylinders, stove, food items… On one hand, I am happy to go back home. But I am also sad to bid goodbye to all the other farmers who helped me in the langar.
– Gurnam Singh of Agra, who had been managing the langar through the protest
PM Narendra Modi will address the function on “Depositors First: Guaranteed Time-bound Deposit Insurance Payment up to Rs 5 Lakh” tomorrow at Vigyan Bhawan in Delhi. Union Finance Minister, MoS Finance and RBI Governor will also be present on the occasion: PMO
Watch: Farmers leave their site of protest, Ghazipur border (Delhi-UP border)
#WATCH | Farmers leave their site of protest, Ghazipur border (Delhi-UP border), after suspending their year-long p… https://t.co/GyXOKfHYsA
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) 1639196406000
A special flight from Kabul to Delhi, chartered by GoI, arrived in Delhi yesterday. It brought 10 Indians and 94 Afghans, including members of the Afghan minority community. The minority community members carried with them 2 Swaroops of Guru Granth Sahib and some ancient Hindu manuscripts: MEA
- Under “Operation Devi Shakti” a total of 669 people have been evacuated from Afghanistan. This comprises 448 Indians and 206 Afghans, which includes members oF Afghan Hindu/Sikh minority community. 565 people including 438 Indians were evacuated from Afghanistan earlier August 2021, says MEA
- In view of the challenging humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, GoI has dispatched a consignment of medical supplies on the return flight today. These will be handed over to representatives of WHO in Kabul & will be administered at Indira Gandhi Children Hospital, Kabul, added MEA
COVID-19 | India reports 7,992 new cases, 9,265 recoveries and 393 deaths in the last 24 hours. Active caseload currently stands at 93,277 – lowest in 559 days: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- 131.99 crore vaccine doses have been administered so far.
Farm protests: Over 60% of the tents and temporary structures put up at the sit-in venue at Tikri border have been dismantled
A large group of farmers shall vacate the area at 8 AM tomorrow. In today’s meeting, we’ll talk, pray, & meet the people who helped us. People have started vacating already, it’ll take 4-5 days. I will leave on 15th December
– BKU leader Rakesh Tikait at Ghazipur Border
Last night was the coldest in Delhi with the temperature plummeting to 8.3 degrees Celsius. It was the coldest night of this season till now: IMD (India Meteorological Department)
In Pics: Farmers vacate the Singhu border area
Delhi: Farmers vacate the Singhu border area after announcing to suspend their year-long protest against the 3 farm… https://t.co/gLhsseJ8KB
— ANI (@ANI) 1639193566000
Visuals: Protesting farmers take down their tents at Ghazipur border
Protesting farmers take down their tents at Ghazipur border (Delhi-UP border) as they prepare to return to their ho… https://t.co/ZsYWzYthRY
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) 1639192726000
86% adult population got at least one vaccine dose, 53.5% has received both
- A total of 131.98 crore doses of anti-Covid jabs were administered in the country till 9.30pm on Friday. With this over 86% of the adult population has received at least the first dose of the vaccines, whereas 53.5% are fully vaccinated with both doses.
Visuals: Farmers start removing their settlements from the Tikri Border, Delhi
Delhi: Farmers start removing their settlements from the Tikri Border, after the suspension of their year-long prot… https://t.co/PsNXiOjLPW
— ANI (@ANI) 1639191897000
Tamil Nadu: Madurai Dist Collector Aneesh Sekhar announces that those in the district, who haven’t been vaccinated, will be barred from public places including fair price shops, business establishments, supermarkets, theaters, wedding halls, shopping malls, garment shops, banks & liquor stores
Measures have been taken to send those who have not been vaccinated to nearby centers, says Madurai District Collector Aneesh Sekhar
Booster dose effective against Omicron, UK study finds
- A third booster dose of Covid-19 vaccine provides 70-75 per cent protection against symptomatic infection from the Omicron variant, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said on Friday.
Mexico reports 199 more deaths from COVID-19
- Mexico’s health ministry on Friday reported 199 more deaths from COVID-19 in the country, bringing the official toll since the pandemic began to 296,385.
- The health ministry has previously said that the real number is likely significantly higher.
Maharashtra: Section 144 CrPC imposed in Mumbai on 11th and 12th December, in wake of Omicron cases in the state. Rallies/morchas/processions etc of either persons or vehicles prohibited.
- The state has a total of 17 Omicron cases so far.
China reports 87 new coronavirus cases on Dec 10 vs 63 a day earlier
- China reported 87 new coronavirus cases on the mainland for Dec. 10, up from 63 cases a day earlier, the country’s health authority said on Saturday.
- Of the new infections, 51 were local cases, compared with 37 a day earlier, the National Health Commission said in a statement.
PM Modi to inaugurate Saryu Nahar National Project in UP’s Balrampur today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Balrampur in Uttar Pradesh to inaugurate the Saryu Nahar National Project on Saturday at around 1 pm, informed Prime Minister’s office on Friday.
- As per an official statement from the PMO, the work on the project started in 1978 but due to lack of continuity of budgetary support, interdepartmental coordination and adequate monitoring, it got delayed and was not completed even after nearly four decades.
A letter sent by a CMO’s official has gone viral on social media, in which the official had written to Bageshwar SP asking him to release the four trucks filled with soapstone. The officer has been dismissed and orders have been given to probe the matter: Uttarakhand CMO
Tamil Nadu Chopper Crash | Identification of all 4 IAF personnel completed. Air transport plan for them and identified Army personnel follows: Indian Air Force
Tamil Nadu Chopper Crash | Positive identification of mortal remains of L/Nk B Sai Teja and L/Nk Vivek Kumar has been done. Mortal remains have been released to close family members this morning: Indian Army
- Mortal remains will move by air for last rites with appropriate military honour. Wreath will be laid at Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt prior to departure. The process for positive identification of remaining mortal remains is continuing: Indian Army
We’ve a responsibility to listen to our citizens to strengthen the guardrails of democracy & to drive reforms that are going to make governments transparent, accountable, more resilient against the buffering forces of autocracy: US President Joe Biden at Summit for Democracy
Global scenario on Omicron very disturbing; must follow COVID-appropriate behaviour, wear masks, warns NITI Aayog’s Dr V K Paul
- Amid scares of COVID-19 resurge due to Omicron variant, Member, Health, NITI Aayog, Dr VK Paul on Friday warned Indians and said that wearing masks and following COVID Appropriate Behaviour are a must to avoid a surge in Covid cases similar to that during the second wave.
Booster dose effective against Omicron, UK study finds
- A third booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine provides 70-75 per cent protection against symptomatic infection from the Omicron variant, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said on Friday.
- In its latest technical briefing, the agency said that two doses of both the Oxford/AstraZeneca – administered in India as Covishield – and Pfizer/BioNtech vaccines provide “much lower levels” of protection against symptomatic infection compared to the currently dominant Delta variant of COVID-19.
- However, a third top-up dose does seem to boost immunity against the new variant, based on an analysis of data from 581 Omicron cases.
Health Ministry along with NTAGI, NEGVAC, should assess need for Covid-19 booster doses, recommends house panel
- In view of the threat posed by the new Omicron variant of COVID-19, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has recommended that the Health Ministry in coordination with the National Technical Advisory Group on Immunization (NTAGI) and National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration for COVID-19 (NEGVAC) should assess the need for booster doses in India.
An earthquake with a magnitude of 3.7 on the Richter Scale hit 31km NNW of Aizawal, Mizoram today at 12:49 am: National Centre for Seismology
Govt has taken a favorable stand towards PG doctor’s strike. We’ve issued orders to appoint 373 non-academic junior residents but it is unfortunate that a section of PG doctors continues to protest: Kerala Health Minister Veena George
Assam cabinet decided to amend the Assam Municipal Act 1956 to provide women reservation for 10 years to enable active women participation in the decision-making process: CMO